Monday, May 30, 2011

Khaosan Road to Grand Palace

I asked the receptionist of our guesthouse with the directions going to the river taxi since we wanted to visit the Grand Palace. She then informed me that there's no need for us to take the river taxi since we can just walk from Khaosan road. SO there.. we used our happy feet going to the famous spot. But it was not easy. We don't know where to go and we don't have maps with us. We just depend on the street signs and of course trusting my instincts...yeah right?! okay fine! We were asking people-the locals for directions. Oh boy it was hard especially that the people we've asked does not speak english and would just point us where to go. A tuk tuk driver even offered to drive us there for 100 Baht. Whaat?! 100 bucks?! No way! So we declined and just went walking. There's this man who informed us that the Grand Palace is close because the monks are praying and inform us to go to Golden Mountain. Hell NO! I've read this type of scams so we just ignored him and walked away. Alas! We've finally seen the outer view of Grand Palace and it was magnificent! There were lots of tourist too. What strucked me was the sign that PROPER DRESSCODE should be observe and I was like wearing a short dress. hahaha.. Good thing that I am always prepared! I
brought with me a capri pants and wore it.

The ticket costs 350 Baht which already includes entrance to the coin museum and Vimanmek Mansion and several other sights around Bangkok that can be used within seven days of your Grand Palace visit. We entered the Coin Museum and were amazed with the different coins and tools and uniforms used by Thailand's royalty. I fell in love with the costumes and the monarch itself. While I was enjoying reading every information about Thailand's royal history, Jes was enjoying himself resting and feeling the coolness of the airconditioner. hahahah!!! I've learned a lot in that museum and I highly admire King Rama IX. His accomplishments are adorable!

We fall in line to enter the Grand Palace and we were given free maps. They would ask for your nationality so they can give you a map with a language that you can understand. :) I fell in love with the temples! All I ever did was took pictures everywhere despite the heat of the sun. I didn't care at all. The view was spectacular!

The Grand Palace houses Wat Phra Kaew the temple of the emerald Buddha is which is a sacred place. We took off our shoes and entered. There's a strict NO PICTURE TAKING policy. To pay respect, we followed the rule. Despite me being careful not to disobey rules and to respect their religion and their culture, Jes on the other hand wasn't. It's a big NO NO to point your feet to the Buddha and yes, he did it. He wasn't able to read the sign and he was stretching his legs. So as expected, he was reprimanded by the guard. I feel so sorry and of course disappointed with Jes with his behavior. when we went out of the temple, we saw people dipping this flower in the water. So out of curiousity, we tried it too. It was fun though coz it's like baptism for the Catholics.

There were lots of halls and nice buildings. I went to see the museum of firearms and then took pictures of Chakri Mahaprasad Hall where there were guards who wouldn't talk at all. So taking advantage of the moment, I took pictures of him. There was even this caucasian man who said "Hello" to him but was not given any response nor even a smile. Well, I'd understand since he is on duty and that may be one of the requirement.

I wanted to explore all of the complex but it was already 12 noon and it was so hot and were hungry. We had a short stop at the palace's restaurant but just ordered gatorade and water and then went out. Trust me, you'll really fall in love with the place. The structure, the design..Oh! so lovely! 350 Baht was all worth it!

1 comment: