Wednesday, June 15, 2011

EXOTIC DINING in THAILAND - exposed!

Thailand has been known all over the world for it's exotic food. It's printed in books, featured in television shows and scenes in movies. I had my first encounter of it when I was traveling to Aranyaprathet by train. A woman was selling food placed in the basket when I noticed that there is a pack of fried grasshopper for sale. I was speechless and my eyes brightened only to realize that some Thai passengers laughed at me because of my impression. Well, forgive me for my ignorance but I really couldn't explain what I felt when I saw the food. It doesn't look appetizing for me, infact, I lose my appetite because of that.
Looks appetizing?!
The second encounter and the most disgusting one was in Khaosan Road. We were on our way back to the hostel from shopping when we passed by this food stall selling exotic food like cockroach, grasshopper, praying mantis, scorpion and worms. The people flocked to his stall to take pictures of the fried insects..aheemm..food I should say. He was selling it for 20 Baht per pack. Jes who was so curious with how it taste like bought a bag of huge grasshopper and ate it in front of the crowd. I took pictures of him and video. A white guy even came to ask him how it tastes like and he said it taste like dried fish. I couldn't bear to see him eating and enjoying the food. The words that came out of my mouth were "EEWW" and "YUCK". I remember telling him not to kiss me unless he brush his teeth 5x and gargle. Honestly, that food doesn't have any smell at all but just the thought that it's an insect makes me feel like vomiting. I asked Jes why he didn't try the scorpion or the cockroach. He said, he already knew how it would look like or feel like since he saw that in Fear Factor. He knew that there will be juices which he can't stand at all. Hahaha, afterall, he isn't really that brave enough to eat exotic food. Besides, grasshoppers are not really that dirty since they only live in grass and rice fields unlike cockroaches wherein you really can see them in your house.

A bag of exotic food for 20 Baht

Jes' Fear Factor moment

Jes eating a grasshopper.

Nonetheless, it was still a Fear factor experience for Jes since he was able to try eating an insect. And I, the cowardly have this nice article to write about that experience. Well, who knows..at the right time, I will try to eat something exotic too. A monkey's brain? or a fly perhaps. Geezz.. I don't know..only time can tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment